Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Dental Visit

Well, it had been a little over six years since my last visit to the dentist. I had gone off of my parents health insurance and had not had the best of coverages until recently.

I was pretty sure I had some problems. I had been experiencing pain every so often on the left side of my mouth, and it was almost certain a cavity. So, last Friday I returned to my former dentist for my first visit in half a dozen years.

The dental assistant cleaned and prodded both my teeth and gums. I had received a permanent retainer from my orthodontist when I was about 12 years old, and needless to say it is very difficult to clean in between and behind those teeth. So, she spent a good amount of time cleaning that area - and I immediately felt the difference. Kind of gross actually.

Anyway, the dentist did find a pretty serious cavity - but it was on my right side. I had not been experiencing any problems on that side of my mouth. But, he also stated I had a few 'minor' areas as well - so I scheduled another appointment for the end of the month.

Later that day I received a phone call from the dentist, a cancellation had occurred for Monday and I should try and get in there. I guess the cavity was a lot worse than they had let on, because they wanted to get it fixed.

So yesterday I spent about an hour and half under the light. Getting drilled and novacained. He fixed all three suspect areas and I was sent home with the instructions not to eat anything hard for the night. So, I went off with my mouth still unable to truly function.

I picked up Kasey and a trusty can of tomato soup and headed home. My mouth didn't truly lose it's numbness until around 7:30-8 p.m. So I didn't eat until 9, but I wasn't all that hungry any way. When the numbness did wear off, however, I did have some pain in my mouth, which also resulted in a headache. He said there would be some pain, as he did have to go in pretty close to the gums. But, I guess in the long run it will be a benefit. I really hated the frequent pain I would have when eating certain foods.

Also, last night a little after 8 our cable went out until about 10. So we missed a handful of our shows (that usually get DVR'd) so I am trying to rectify the situation right now. Hopefully it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment