Friday, May 4, 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

So, I looked it up and the original Mission: Impossible came out in 1996. Seriously? I can't believe it has been that long. Anyway, as I believe I said before, this series is a lot like the Bourne series for me. I absolutely love them and they are very interesting - but for some reason I don't really tend to watch them on repeated viewings, and I am not sure why.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol reunites us with Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) who has been locked up in a Moscow prison for apparently going nuts and killing Serbians for the death of his wife.

Tevor Hanaway (Josh Holloway), an IMF agent, is killed by Sabine Moreau (Lea Seydoux), who works for a man code-named 'Cobalt'. Cobalt is a Russian agent searching for nuclear bomb detonation codes. Jane Carter (Paula Patton) and Benji Dunn (Simon Pegg) break hunt out of prison and Hunt is given them as his new team and presented with the task of finding Cobalt before he retrieves any of the codes.

While in the Kremlin, the group goes undercover to find the codes before Cobalt, but get there too late. Hunt discovers that a bomb is set and rushes out before it explodes - but he gets injured and discovered in the hospital bu the police. So, the team is thought to be responsible for the explosion and during a meet up, IMF Secretary (Tom Wilkinson) tells Hunt that the president has introduced Ghost Protocol, or a blackout operation that leaves the IMF team all alone in tracking down Cobalt and stopping any nuclear attack, but they do end up getting the Secretary's aide, William Brandt (Jeremy Renner) to help them out.

That is just a quick little synopsis of the film leading up to the actual tracking of Cobalt. The crew still has a bit of the high-tech gear that they use in all of the other films, but it is cool that they have to do most of it on their own without the help of the agency.

This was an extremely fun film to watch. As I said, I love these films. The stunts were great and I love all of the high-tech gear they use throughout. And, with Pegg back, the humor is once again ramped up.

I was surprised, and this isn't really ruining anything because it happens right away, that Holloway was given such a small role. I guess it was an important role, but for someone who is a pretty well-known actor from Lost and could have played a much larger role, it was surprising to me.

But, if you haven't seen this I highly recommend it. Of course, it sort of helps to have seen the original films for some of the things that come up in this one - but it does stand alone somewhat. Either way, check out the whole series, I don't think you'll be disappointed.


Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment