Sunday, June 20, 2010

TV Meme: Day 7 - Least Favorite Episode of My Favorite Show

Wow. This took me a long time as I read through each episode of Scrubs to figure out which one I just didn't feel was up to par. Sure, I could have wussed out and went the easy route by selecting an episode from Scrubs: Med School but technically that is not the same show - so I researched and I think found the show that is my least favorite.

I say I think because I am still not sure. I can watch any episode of Scrubs nonstop and always come away happy. But, in order to stick to the guidelines of this meme my least favorite episode of Scrubs is My Quarantine.

Anyway, this episode is mainly about J.D. (Zach Braff) trying to impress his new girlfriend, Kylie (Chrystee Pharris). He shows off his outfit to Carla (Judy Reyes) and Eliott (Sarah Chalke), who soon realize just how horrible the outfit is once he starts stripping it off. The outfit as a whole works, so J.D. announces he will not take anything off and that way it will work.

Well, right away his plans are shot out the door as he runs over an opossum and uses his jacket to take it to the vet. He then hits a box as he leaves the vet's office, that turns out to be a home for a homeless man - he then has to use his shirt to wrap the man's hand - and he looks like the fool he didn't want to in front of Kylie.

They take the man to the hospital and J.D. continues to try to impress Kylie, but accidentally says the word 'SARS' which is an automatic quarantine. And as things continue to be dull, he feels he is losing her and pays the homeless man to fake a heart attack to make himself look like a hero.

I guess the main reason I was not a fan of this episode is I just wasn't a fan of the character Kylie and the apparent relationship between her and J.D. There also just wasn't too much going on during this episode - which is strange because of the great characters in such a close space usually produces great comedy. But, in this episode I just felt the characters were all in the wrong place to make the comedy great.

There were two great parts of this episode, however, but they weren't enough to make this episode better. There is a moment when the characters are explaining their worst dates and Turk (Donald Faison) overhears Carla telling hers and Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley) telling his - and they happen to be the same date. I thought that was a pretty cool way to let Turk (and the audience) know that Cox and Carla once dated.

Finally, the Janitor (Neil Flynn) bets Dr. Kelso (Ken Jenkins) in a game of flicking a cotton ball into a jar using a tongue depressor. Janitor ends up about $700 in the hole and at the end says 'double or nothing' on one final shot - and nails it. I thought it was a pretty good background story.

Well, that is my least favorite Scrubs episode - which I would actually watch right now if it were on. That is how difficult this was for me, because I love each episode of this show - despite this being my least favorite, I still like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment