Thursday, June 17, 2010

TV Meme: Day 4 - Favorite Show of All Time

This, so far, was the easiest day for me. Ever since I started getting into this show it has been considered my favorite.

I speak about it almost non-stop and refer to it often in these blogs, so I am sure most of you know what show it is before I even mention it.

That being said, my favorite show of all time is Scrubs.

I am not really sure when or how I got into the show because I didn't watch it during its first and probably even its second season. I do know that once I did start watching it I could not stop.

I own each and every season on DVD and watch it whenever possible on Comedy Central when the repeats are getting shown. I have seen each episode probably a dozen times, but that does not stop me from watching it again - nor does the fact that I can probably recite each episode. I still laugh.

This show has probably been the underdog of television comedies ever since it started. It was sort of a running joke between everyone on the show if they would make it to the next season. The show began on NBC and was moved around so much over seven seasons and was never given too much promotion - but it still lasted seven seasons despite that.

Eventually after NBC pulled the plug - ABC picked up the show and had the eighth and practically final season (the show continued as more of a spinoff: Scrubs: Med School for one season).

The premise of the show was following John "J.D." Dorian (Zach Braff) as he enters Sacred Heart Hospital on the first day as a doctor. He is joined by his best friend, Chris Turk (Donald Faison), who is a surgeon. On his first day he stumbles upon Dr. Perry Cox (John C. McGinley), who over the course of eight seasons would become a mentor/father figure to J.D.

J.D.'s first (and eventual last) love interest and fellow doctor was Elliot Reid (Sarah Chalke) and the mother figure of the group and eventual wife of Turk, Carla Espinoza (Judy Reyes) was one of the head nurses.

The Janitor (Neil Flynn) as he was affectionately known was probably my favorite character on the show. He was best known for lurking around, trying not to work and busting everyone's chops throughout the episodes - but most especially making J.D.'s life as miserable as possible.


That is one thing I really enjoyed about Scrubs was despite having the five main characters, the secondary characters all had a huge role in the success of the show. Whether it was The Janitor (who originally was only supposed to be a figment of J.D.'s imagination), Ted the lawyer (Sam Lloyd) or The Todd (Robert Maschio).

If you have a great sense of humor and you haven't checked Scrubs out yet I highly recommend that you do. I have hooked a handful of my friends on the show already who thought they wouldn't be interested. It is downright hilarious, but it also has a lot of heart - the characters truly feel for one another.

Just great casting and amazing writing. I am sad to see it end, but it will live on in reruns for a good, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment