Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thor

I am sure I have said this before, but it is probably worth restating - I love movies based on comic books, but I have never followed comic books. I was more of a sports card person than a comic book person.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Iron Man films, so when they planned out this new Avengers film by releasing a few films beforehand I was pretty excited. I do think I am more excited about Captain America but this one still had me interested.

I knew nothing of Thor going in except that he was a god of some sort. So, I am not sure just how close to the comic books the film stayed.

So, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is, along with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the son of the king of Asgard, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Thor, along with his hammer, is a mighty warrior and the heir to thrown. He is, however, a bit of a hot head and very cocky. After he enters the Frost Giants home against his father's wishes, he finds himself banished from the kingdom - much to Loki's enjoyment.

Meanwhile, on Earth, a group of scientists, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) notice a strange happening in the sky and end up hitting a man with their car - that man turns out to be Thor.

I will not ruin the film for anyone, but let's just say the rest of the film is Thor trying to fit in on Earth and figuring out how to protect Asgard from his brother and the Frost Giants.

Not sure if I love this film or not, I think I will have to watch it again, but I definitely enjoyed it - possibly more than Iron Man 2.

I thought that everyone was great in their performance. I had only seen Hemsworth in his bit part as Kirk's father in Star Trek, but he carried this movie as the lead very well. And, much like Rachel mentioned, I kept thinking I was hearing Heath Ledger in A Knight's Tale.

One person who I didn't even know had a role, but had a sort of small yet integral part was Heimdall (Idris Elba) the gate keeper. I really enjoyed him in this role.

So, the grade I give this film is my impression on first watch. I will definitely have to give it a second look when it comes out on DVD, but I really liked what I saw initially - but there is a good chance I could actually love it upon further review.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment