Friday, March 6, 2009

Quick Shots

I have had absolutely nothing to do at work this week after finally wrapping up a huge project the week before.

Luckily for me, I was able to watch a movie per day - except on Thursday as I actually had something to do - so instead of a large post of my thoughts for each movie, I thought I would give a smaller post which I am calling "Quick Shots"

Monday: Ghost Rider.

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Donal Logue, Wes Bentley and Sam Elliott.

Brief Synopsis: Johnny Blaze (Cage) in order to save his father, sells his soul to the devil. The devil makes Blaze his bounty hunter, which must be repaid when he calls upon him. Blackheart (Bentley) is the devil's son and tries to take over both hell and Earth - that is unless Blaze can stop him.

Opinion: I actually enjoyed this film, despite all the negativity I had heard about it. The backstory and plot were pretty enjoyable - although I would have to give the fight scenes and the overall look of the Ghost Rider a major thumbs down. Everything else that happened in the film, however, was very enjoyable and easy to watch.

Grade:

Tuesday: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Starring: Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans, Ioan Gruffudd and Doug Jones.

Brief Synopsis: Susan Storm (Alba) and Reed Richards (Gruffudd) are getting married - if they can. An unknown phenomenon known as the Silver Surfer (Jones) is reaking havoc on the planet - and it is up to the Fantastic Four to save the day.

Opinion: Another film that I enjoyed despite what I have heard. Unlike most superhero films nowadays, Fantastic Four is obviously campy and doesn't take itself too seriously. However, it seems as though the filmmakers tried to shove everything into a 90 minute film, when it should have been a little longer. The Silver Surfer wasn't used nearly as much as it should have been - a reminder of Venom in Spiderman 3.

Grade:

Wednesday: 16 Blocks.

Starring: Bruce Willis, Mos Def and David Morse.

Brief Synopsis: Jack Mosley (Willis) is a cop who is pretty much past his prime and down on his luck. He gets an assignment to transport Eddie Bunker (Def) to the court house in order to testify. Mosley, however, doesn't realize who Bunker is testifying against - and getting to the court house becomes a lot tougher than he realizes.

Opinion: Not a bad film. I got pretty annoyed with the sound of Mos Def's voice, though. His character never shut up - and the whiny voice he choice for him got me very annoyed. Willis' character was easy to get behind, however. And the action scenes were pretty entertaining.

Grade:

Friday: Blindness.

Starring: Mark Ruffalo, Julianne Moore, Alice Braga, Yusuke Iseya and Danny Glover.

Brief Synopsis: A man (Iseya) becomes blind out of nowere, and somehow the blindess begins to spread through the people that he meets - including his eye doctor (Ruffalo). In order to stop the spread, everyone is brought to an old insane asylum, including the eye doctor's wife (Moore) who never lost her sight. While there, they are treated poorly with little food and no medical attention - and some of them become very "Lord of the Flies"-like.

Opinion: I have to say this movie disturbed me, but it was very well done. I am a little confused, however, as the cause of the blindness was never revealed - and why was Moore's character immune to it? The film was disturbing, and gave you that question 'What would happen if everyone had to defend for themselves? Would there be anarchy or would everyone remain civil?'
Grade:

1 comment:

  1. The cause of blindness and the reason behind the doctor's wife's immunity is never explained in the book, either. But that's not the point of the story, so to me, it doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete