Wednesday, February 16, 2011

18/50: Alice in Wonderland

I have heard a ton of horrible things about this film. I for one am not a huge fan of Tim Burton, and I absolutely hated Charlie in the Chocolate Factory - but that could be because it was a 'remake' of my absolute favorite movie.

But, you know what? I loved Alice in Wonderland. Was it crazy? Of course it was. But, that is what Alice in Wonderland is supposed to be - so honestly, it was the best vehicle for Tim Burton to just go nuts.

Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is now a 19-year old woman, who believes that Wonderland is a dream that she has been having over and over again in her head. Her mother has arranged for her to get married, but while at the engagement party (right when the man has asked her) Alice notices the white rabbit yet again - and chases him down the rabbit hole.

Once in Wonderland (or Underland that it is called here), the lovable characters we have come to know - the white rabbit, the blue caterpillar, the dormouse and Tweedledee and Tweedledum, begin discussing if this is indeed the Alice who was there before - even though she doesn't believe it. Apparently, Alice is supposed to lead the people out of the tyranny of the Queen of Hearts (Helena Bonham Carter) - and allow the White Queen (Anne Hathaway) to take over. She must, however, slay the Jabberwocky to do so.

On her journey, the Knave of Hearts (Crispin Glover) is out to capture her and stop her from her destiny. Along the way, she comes across the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), who gives himself up in order to keep her safe.

I will say no more about the film plot itself, but I thought it was great. Depp was absolutely crazy as the Mad Hatter - and despite my feeling that the look of the Queen of Hearts was a bit over the top, it may have actually been necessary to everything that she was saying.

I had not seen Wasikowski in a film before, but I thought she was brilliant in her role as Alice. And, the slew of characters were done just right, in my opinion.

I know this film is either loved or hated - but I feel it was great. Just my opinion.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you in thinking that this film was unfairly maligned...and if memory serves, this time last year I was one of the few who thought this film was being unfairly maligned.

    I think that what caught many off-guard was how much this film was aimed at kids (it's Disney after all)...and as a kid-centric story it does pretty well.

    Still not entirely sold on the look they gave to my namesake, but after watching it again on dvd recently, I still like it!

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete