Monday, April 25, 2011

38/50: Bullitt

Steve McQueen was apparently the action star of the 60's, and died too young. I loved him in The Great Escape and had heard that Bullitt was one of his best action roles.

So, I added it to my list in hopes that it would be as good or as close to The Great Escape as possible - but i was wrong.

Yes, it had an amazing car chase scene - which is ranked as one of the 10 best on a ton of polls - but the rest of the film just fell flat to me. Maybe it was because of its age, but
I am not sure that is entirely the case.

So, Bullitt (Steve McQueen) is tasked in protecting a witness in a criminal case. And, of course, the person being prosecuted has his cronies attempt to kill that witness.

That is it basically, not too much of a story, just a few chase scenes and gun fights. Which in most cases I would love, but it really didn't do too much for me here.

It was sort of neat to see a young Robert Duvall in probably one of his smallest roles ever, a cab driver named Weissberg. And, that wacky landlord from "Three's Company" Norman Fell as Baker.

If you want to see one of the best car chase scenes in cinema history, check out the film or look it up on youtube. I don't really suggest partaking in this entire film for just one scene though.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment