Monday, November 17, 2008

Star Wars: Clone Wars, Get Smart, The Incredible Hulk

I am not one of those people that attacks the prequal-trilogy of the legendary Star Wars saga. I actually enjoy, and can watch each of the new films.

I think that people have come to believe that the new versions are wooden - but if you check out the original trilogy - there is some pretty wooden dialogue there as well.

Episode I was probably the worst of all of the movies, but it was a necessity to move the story along - as well as introduce us to Anakin Skywalker. The second two installments were a lot better than the first, and I felt Episode III was pretty close to the original trilogy.

Anyway, I checked out Star Wars: Clone Wars on Friday, and I am a bit torn. The animation was a bit lacking - especially the look of Count Dooku, very odd. The animation of the droids and the cities, however, were very well done.

I also enjoyed the introduction of Anakin's padawan, Ahsoka. I felt she brought a lot to storyline.

Apparently, this is the bridge to what is now a television series - which I am currently not watching. Because I at the end of the film, I had a ton of unaswered questions that the television series might be answering.

This movie is supposed to be taking place between Episode II and Episode III. So, Anakin is still on the good side of the force. At the end of the movie though, I found myself wondering - what the hell happened to this Ahsoka in Episode III? Now, perhaps this will be answered in the television series. But, if Anakin has a padawan now - shouldn't she be around in the next movie?

Anyway, the movie itself was alright. Nothing too groundbreaking, or anything that really needed to be explained. This is, like I said, just an excuse to get people interested in watching the new television series.

Grade:

On Saturday, I was able to check out a couple of movies I had been wanting to see this summer.

The first of which, Get Smart, stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart.

Smart is a member of CONTROL, and has been trying to make the jump from intellegience to the field. However, due to his amazing work in the intellegience field, his boss (Alan Arkin) doesn't want to promote him.

A terrorist group know as KAOS hits the CONTROL offices and gains knowledge of all field agents. This propels Smart into the field, along with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) who has recently had plastic surgery.

So, it's up to Smart and 99 to save the country from the evil KAOS. Of course, hilarity ensues with Smart just not quite ready to be out on his own - so 99 must clean up a lot of his messes.

The movie also stars Dwayne Johnson (Agent 23), Terry Crews (Agent 91), David Koechner (Larabee), Terence Stamp (Siegfried) and James Caan (The President).

Masi Oka and Nate Torrence play a duo of science nerds at CONTROL, who help Smart out of some situations. Their characters' popularity even led to the spin-off Get Smart Bruce & Lloyd Out of Control.

Grade:

Finally, I wrapped up my movie watching weekend with The Incredible Hulk.

I was never under the impression that the original Hulk movie was that terrible, but it definitely wasn't ground breaking either.

This movie, starring Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, was a better version of the first as Marvel tried to re-introduce the character.

This is by no means The Dark Knight or even Iron Man, but it is a pretty decent film - which sets up sequels and the inclusion of The Hulk in the Avengers movie. Hopefully with Norton reprising his role.

This was probably the best movie I watched this weekend, as it definitely kept me interested throughout the film - and let me wonder what was going to happen next.

Along for the ride this time were Liv Tyler (Dr. Betty Ross), William Hurt (Gen. Thaddeus Ross) and Tim Roth (Major Emil Blonsky).

Blonsky, at the urge of Hurt's Gen. Ross, eventually becomes the enemy in the film - known as Abomination.

The battle scenes involving the Hulk were pretty fun to watch - and the obvious toll that becoming the Hulk has on Bruce is done very well by Norton.

I was also happy that they didn't make the Hulk the size of a skyscraper like they did in the previous movie - yes he is much larger than his television version, but still at a reasonable size.

I also enjoyed the little things placed into the movie from the television version, most notably Lou Ferrigno (who was not only a security guard in the film, but the Hulk's voice) and the sad walk-away music that was played. Very nice touch.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment