Monday, November 24, 2008

Star Trek

I have to admit, I checked out the new trailer to the updated/revamped Star Trek franchise and it has me very excited. So much so, in fact, that since watching it that first time - I have watched it about five other times.

I have been a pretty big Star Trek fan since the original crew of Shatner, Nimoy and McCoy. Out of all of the films from the original crew, the only one I truly disdain is Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Boy, they really got off on the wrong foot with that piece of junk.

Luckily, though, the movie made money and it allowed for a truly great six-movie arc, culminating with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Since that film, Star Trek was handed over to The Next Generation crew - and the films were pretty solid at the start.

But, we haven't had a new film since Star Trek: Nemesis in 2002.

Enter J.J. Abrams, Lost and Alias creator.

The film has been rewound and revamped. Abrams has started the Star Trek franchise from its beginning - the arrival of Kirk and his crew at starfleet.

Now, I have heard the grumblings already. Diehards are complaining that not everything in the story is what happened in Gene Roddenberry's original stories.

Of course not. Things have to be changed - and I say it's probably for the better.

All I can say is this: looking at that trailer I am extremely giddy for this upcoming film.

The fight scenes look extraordinary - I mean when did you see such space battles in a Star Trek film ---- it looks almost Star Wars-esque.



I am upset by the move to the summer, because it was orginally planned for Christmas. But, I will definitely be checking this film out when it finally does open.

Casting:

Kirk: Chris Pine
Spock: Zachary Quinto
Sulu: John Cho
Uhura: Zoe Saldana
McCoy: Karl Urban
Scotty: Simon Pegg
Chekov: Anton Yelchin
Nero (Romulan Villain): Eric Bana

No comments:

Post a Comment