Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Quick Rant: ABC

If you remember, awhile ago I praised ABC for picking up one of my all-time favorite television shows, Scrubs, off of the scrap heap that NBC tossed it upon.

Well, as much as I appreciated that (and the awesome promo I saw a few days ago for the new season) ABC has now given me a reason to be upset with them.

Today, Brooke Smith who plays Dr. Erica Hahn on Grey's Anatomy was let go from the show. The only explanation was that ABC was no longer thrilled with having a lesbian storyline on the show, and Smith's character was abruptly removed to remove the storyline.

Also, Grey's Anatomy is introducing a new character on the show in the coming weeks played by Mary McDonnell, who was supposed to be a bisexual - is now no longer one.

This comes on the heals of Rebecca Romijn's departure from Ugly Betty because her character was a transgendered. Now I do not watch this particular show - but I read about it.

Are we returning to the dark ages?

I thought we had come so far in today's standards where homosexuals are now even getting married - but it isn't ok to have a relationship that is homosexual on television?

What is ABC going to do next? Write Matthew Rhys' Kevin walker on Brothers & Sisters into a straight man? What will happen to his husband, Scotty? One day Kevin will walk into his apartment to his wife Sophie - and nothing will ever be explained.

This is pretty sad, and as much as I am not really into the guy-on-guy kissing that happens each week on Brothers & Sisters I am happy that it's there.

I am not gay, nor do I think anyone in my family is gay. But, I am a supporter of equal rights. And from what I had seen happening on ABC, I believed that they were fully supporting it as well.

Hell, Isaiah Washington was fired due to his ignorance on homosexuality and fellow c0-star T.R. Knight. Does anyone remember this? ABC?

I was never a true fan of Hahn's character, but at least this season she was somewhat interesting. And with both her and Callie experimenting and freaking out about this undisovered journey they were about to go on - it made for good television.

ABC just totally screwed up. And I hope someone calls them on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment