Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July Weekend

The 4th of July has morphed into an all-out weekend, especially this year thanks to the 4th falling on a Friday.

I was let out of work on Thursday and had a softball game at 6:30. I wasn't able to play because I also had a basketball game at 7:45, so I would have had to leave early. The softball team fell, but apparently the women on the team were carrying the men.

I am starting to get the feeling that our basketball team is pretty good. On Thursday we played Peabody's - or the team from Chateaugay. They have been a powerhouse in our league for awhile now, but we actually controlled the game from the opening tip. I kept waiting for them to take the lead - but it never happened.

I am still not contributing very well on the scoring front - in fact I was the only player not to score on Thursday (only shot twice though). But, I think I am contributing in other aspects. I have been really strong defensively, my passing has been pretty decent - and I have even been rebounding - which has surprised even me. We are now 3-0, but play another undefeated team on Thursday, so we will see where we are at.

On Friday Erika, Kasey and I went to Plattsburgh for the 4th of July parade. I am getting pretty tired of the lack of real imagination in this city. The parade pretty much sucked right from the start. I was pretty appalled that they didn't close off the street in terms of parking. Cars were parked up and down the street, and it was pretty much impossible to see the parade unless you were lucky enough to get there in time (like we were) to sit in a parking spot.

As for the parade, I don't call throwing a bunch of ambulances, fire trucks and vintage cars in a line and letting them drive down the street a parade. Not one band - at least the year before we had bagpipe players. The lone highlight: a small cement truck that was actually filled with candy - and dumped a crapload out for kids to enjoy.

We went over to our friends Mark and Danielle's house for a little volleyball/picnic action. Their house is in perfect viewing of the city fireworks - so we had some s'mores and watched the fireworks before heading home.

Saturday was pretty much used for cleaning the inside and outside of the house. My sister and Cyle came up later in the day and we played some Guitar Hero: Aerosmith for awhile before heading to bed.

Sunday was our 4th of July party in Rouses Point. We had a lot of friends and family come up and I think it went pretty well. I grilled up some burgers and hot dogs, and everyone brought a little something to the table. We watched our parade (which was a lot better: 3 different bagpipe bands), then those that remained went in and played a little Wii before heading over to the fireworks.

All-in-all it was a pretty fun and eventful weekend. We didn't get to bed until late last night, so I am pretty exhausted this morning. I hope everyone had a good time - and I look forward to doing it all again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment