Monday, June 30, 2008

Two Decent Flicks

It had been quite awhile since I have actually been able to watch a movie. The summer months have actually made my weekends pretty busy, and this past weekend might have been my last free one for awhile.

I have also been catching up on the Weeds' seasons, and have just finished Season 3. I am caught up, except for the two episodes that I have missed this season so far.

Anyway, my wife and I watched a pair of movies this weekend - the first of which was the Matthew McConaughey-Kate Hudson flick, Fool's Gold. I must admit, that whenever I go into these romantic comedy movies my standards are set pretty low. They appear to be basically the same story re-written in a bit of a different way.

I am, however, a McConaughey fan, and Hudson is nothing terrible to look at.

This movie is actually more of a treasure hunt-type film than it is a love story (although there is a bit of that going on as well). It's nothing like National Treasure or any other find the clue movies, but it was pretty decent. It was also nice to see Theo (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) in a movie, although with a weird Jamaican accent.

The movie had some fun action moments, some decent humor and a lot of gratuitous McConaughey shirtless scenes for the ladies - although in my wives' words 'he doesn't wear deodorant', so I guess he has lost some pizazz with her. The shirtless McConaughey shots more than outnumber the Hudson bikini shots (which I believe is only one).

Grade:

The second film we watched was Bee Movie, the Jerry Seinfeld-driven cartoon movie.

The film also stars the voice characters of Matthew Broderick, Renee Zellweger, Patrick Warburton, John Goodman, Chris Rock and others.

Barry (Seinfeld) is a bee who has just graduated into the workforce. On a tour the day before he is supposed to start he finds out that once you pick a job that you are there for the rest of your life, until you die.

Barry decides that he wants to see the world first - and heads out to discover the world. One of the main bee rules is to never talk to humans, but after Vanessa (Zellweger) saves his life, he thanks her - and forms an odd friendship.

Through his visits with her, they go grocery shopping and Barry finds out that the humans are stealing the bee's honey. He tracks down the source of the honey and discovers that bees are being held against their will to make honey for the humans.

So, Barry sues the human race - and ultimately wins the case, forcing humans to stop using the bee's honey. But, because of this decision the world itself (including the bee's world) changes and it's up to Barry to restore the nature of things before it's too late.

The movie was pretty good, nowhere near Shrek or Toy Story quality, but good in itself. I found myself laughing out loud on a few occasions during the film. As for re-watchability, I wouldn't say it was good enough to watch over and over, but possibly a once a year watch.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment