Friday, August 20, 2010

The Bounty Hunter

I had heard some pretty bad things about this next movie, but I try not to let others influence me on films. Then, my brother-in-law said he thought it was funny - so I figured it had to be at least some where in the middle.

And that is what it was. Just another run-of-the-mill comedy. Nothing too ground breaking here, but also not one that pained me to death either.

The Bounty Hunter is yet another romantic comedy-type film that you basically know the ending and most of the plot just by knowing what the film is about. They tried to throw a curveball or two at the audience, but in the end it was exactly what was expected.

Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler) has lost his job as police officer and has taken up bounty hunting. He has also lost his wife, Nicole Hurley (Jennifer Aniston). Hurley is a newspaper reporter on the verge of cracking a major scoop - just when she has to be in court for assaulting a police officer.

Hurley decides to go after the story instead of attend her court date and Boyd is the lucky guy who is hired to track her down.

I am not really sure what Butler is doing with his career. I think he is trying to have a Bruce Willis-type career as he is mixing both the comedy and the action films. As of now there isn't really that huge action star that we used to have in the 80s (Stallone, Van Damme, Schwarzenneger) - although if Dwayne Johnson stops doing kid films he may be next in line - so I don't know why Butler wouldn't just corner that market. That is where he succeeds.

He is ok here, but I would much rather watch him in another Law Abiding Citizen film then watching him pine after women (that is why we have people like Ryan Gosling).

Anyway, like I said a pretty basic romantic comedy that you know what will happen before the end of the opening credits. But, they all have a different way of getting there and this one was just about average.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. It was a fun date movie that didn't stick, but was fun while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete